UFCW Local 135 History
DEPARTMENTS

INSURANCE

GRIEVANCE & CONTRACT

ORGANIZING

MEMBERSHIP

CONTENT
MISSION STATEMENT

WHY GOVERNMENT ??

NEW MEMBER MEETINGS
REPRESENTATIVES
DISABILITY & WK COMP
EMAP
TICKETS
WORKER NEWSLETTER
MEMBER ALERT

FREE STICKER

UFCW LINKS
CONTACT US

 
     
  Click for Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly version  
     
  UFCW Local 135 History

Local 135 dates back to the early part of the 20th century in San Diego. The Butchers Union was in existence and affiliated with the San Diego Federated Trades and Labor Council in 1903, and the Retail Clerks were organized and joined the Council in 1917. 

Meat Cutters Local 229 emerged as one of the strongest and most respected unions in the nation under the leadership of the late Max Osslo, who remained a powerful figure on the San Diego labor scene from 1936 until his retirement in 1981. The modern era of the Retail Clerks Union began in 1943, when Samuel Meyers, an international representative, launched a campaign to organize clerks in food stores. Local 1222 received a charter from the Retail Clerks International Association in 1944.

In 1979, the Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America merged with the Retail Clerks, and the United Food & Commercial Workers Union was born. The Barbers and Beauticians Union also joined with the UFCW.

Combining the memberships of the Retail Clerks Local 1222, and Meat Cutters Local 229 into UFCW Local 135 in January of 1986, marked the beginning of a new era of cooperation, progress and innovation. 

Interested in more UFCW Local 135 history?  Visit San Diego State University's Special Collections and University Archives Inventory of the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 135 Records.

 

 
 

[HOME]